My Royal Highness (Part I)

I call my bed “My Royal Highness.”  It is an appropriate title on two levels: 1) I feel very regal when I’m lying in it – everything about it is a little oversized and luxurious.  2) The top of the mattress is three feet from the floor.  (Thank goodness I’m 5’8″ and can still get into bed.)

My Royal Highness came about as a birthday present.  Moving into our new place, I knew immediately that my queen size box spring wouldn’t fit up the stairs.  They were just too narrow.  I also knew that I didn’t want my old IKEA bed frame.  It was too low to fit anything under (and I need to get the most of my space in my new place), I didn’t like having a footboard, and I was just in the mood for something new.  So I decided I would make my own bed.

And then Kevin made one for me as a birthday present instead.  (I can assure you that his bed making skills far surpass mine, and he was nice enough to take a few pictures along the way as the bed progressed.)  In case you’re wondering why my bed is oh-so-high… I have no idea.  I was very explicit in my “specifications” for the bed height.  The bottom of the platform needed to be 19 inches high, so I could fit 18 inch high boxes under the bed.

Let me ask you this: What box is 18 inches high?  Apparently, I was envisioning a small home for a dwarf because while the bed is incredibly high (it’s the first thing people comment on when they come into my room), but it’s exactly to my requested “specifications.”  I clearly had no idea what I was talking about.  In case you’re still not getting how high the bottom of the bed is… you can pull a chair up to it.  And tuck it under the bed.

Kevin started with 2×4’s to create the frame of the bed.

He used Deckmate screws to connect all of the 2×4’s.  I’m told that Deckmates are “high quality wood fasteners.”  (And considering I’ve been sleeping in my bed for 2 weeks with no problem, I’m a believer.)  To support the center of the frame where the 2×4’s intersect, Kevin joined them with 90 degree brackets and 1 1/4″ wood screws.

These brackets went into each of the four corners.

From there, he cut a 4×4 down to four separate pieces, which would be used as the legs.  (And would leave the bottom of the 2×4’s precisely 19 inches off the ground – like his loony lady asked him to.  (My live-in dwarf is very happy.))  He connected the legs into the four corners of the frame using Timberlock screws.  This is a particular brand that is “strong as [another word for poo]” (if you know what I’m saying).  Apparently they’re more technically described as “hex-head lags” made by Fastenal.  (I am literally asking Kevin to tell me these sentences… I don’t know what a lag is.  Except the one in my understanding.  Which, as Kevin just pointed out to me, is also incorrect, as I don’t have a “lag” in understanding, but a “lack.”)

The top of the 4×4 was flush with the top of the 2×4’s to allow for extra support of the plywood that would be placed on top in lieu of a box spring.

At this point, Kevin cut two pieces of 3/4″ thick plywood to fit directly on top of the 2×4’s, making sure to split the seam of the two pieces over the center support.  Here he used the same 1 1/4″ wood screws to attach the plywood.

I asked Kevin to create some type of sideboard to cover the  2×4’s – this was purely for aesthetic appeal.  He used 1×8’s to give enough coverage for the 2×4’s and also create a little “nest” of sorts for the mattress to rest in.  (I suppose it wasn’t entirely aesthetic; I was also worried the mattress would slide off the plywood.  Let me tell you now, folks.  Mattresses do not slide on unfinished wood.  They get stuck.)

He did leave one end without 1×8 coverage to accommodate a headboard.  For the headboard, I opted for board and batten with crown molding trim.

Kevin started by attaching the board and batten to a piece of 1/2″ thick plywood (this was thinner because it wouldn’t be supporting any real weight).  He had to cut the piece of board and batten to get the right dimensions, but he cut it to fit the repeat, so you can hardly tell that there is a seam.

You can ignore the screw holes – I filled them all in at a later point.  Notice that the trim doesn’t come all the way down on the sides.  It was kept at that height to meet the sideboards, while also allowing for the bottom of the headboard to be at the right height to be screwed into the 2×4 at the head of the bed for ultimate support.

And then… he took the bed frame apart.

It wouldn’t fit up my stairs as one piece – or any piece, actually – even the cross bars had to be detached.  So Kevin wrote numbers on each piece to ensure that it was an easier reconfiguration once in my apartment.  In pieces.

I’ll finish up tomorrow to show you painting, spray painting, and what never to do inside.  (How’s that for a teaser?)  But now I’m over 900 words.  Over and out.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to My Royal Highness (Part I)

  1. Pingback: My Royal Highness (Part II) | Uncramp Your Style

  2. Pingback: Closet Space. | Uncramp Your Style

  3. Pingback: Nice Layout | Uncramp Your Style

  4. Pingback: Actual Wall Flowers (Sort of) | Uncramp Your Style

  5. Pingback: Braindump | Uncramp Your Style

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s