I won’t lie – I almost didn’t post this again today. And the only reason is because I was – once again – distracted. By Pinterest. Which most of you probably already know and love. For those of you who don’t know it (and therefore don’t love it yet), I’ll do a little blurb on the wonder that is Pinterest soon. But back to my bed.
I already went through the how-to on the making the bed last week, and now I’m going to share with you the actual painting/assembly of the bed. (For those of you just joining, hop on over here for Part I, where I describe how I ended up with a bed that is high enough to house a gnome – possibly even a family of four gnomes.)
As I said, my main squeeze (too bad people don’t say that anymore) Kevin is the one to thank for any and all construction. (We’re going steady – another lost phrase – so he was kind enough to do this as a bday gift.) But between the deconstruction of the bed base into pieces (so it could fit up my stairs) and the final assembly, there was a bit to be done on my part. I started with the stems.
To start, I primed the four legs that Kevin made by cutting down a 4×4. This was actually my first foray into spray-painting, so I’ll go right ahead and say it went swimmingly. (And the only reason I picked spray-paint was because everyone seems to be on the “It’s way easier” boat, and I’m all for easier.) I used Zinsser primer and Rust-oleum spray-paint. Kate at Centsational Girl is an old hand at spray-painting and I’m pretty sure these are the brands she used, so that’s what I grabbed in the hardware store. The two cans came out to under $15, so they were reasonably priced, too.
Because it was my first time spray-painting (and fine – it was my first time priming, too), I was a little concerned about whether the inconsistency of the primer would affect the coverage of the final coat of white paint. But I clearly had nothing to worry about.
I sprayed two layers of spray-paint on each leg and didn’t fret about the lack of coverage on the ends touching the table because those would be hidden under the plywood base when the bed was assembled. The ends of the leg facing up would ultimately be on the floor and in view.
Once the legs were dry and Kevin came back around with his tool kit, he put the legs onto the frame of the bed. (All of the details on screws, etc. is in Part I of the bed project posts.)
I was already in love. I couldn’t stop gushing about my bed even though it was the height of a small mountain (per my misguided request). The storage space under my bed was the most incredible invention since someone put Nutella on sliced bread. But it wasn’t long before I was itching to get the rest of the bed finished, which included the sideboards and headboard.
Because I had such success with my spray-painted legs, I opted for spray-paint shellac for the sideboards. (Yes. I spray-painted inside. Yes. It was dumb. Yes. I put a fan in the window. No. It didn’t seem to help that much. Yes. I had a raging headache for the remainder of the day. No. You shouldn’t try this at home.) I used Zinsser again and applied three light coats.
Once the shellac was dry, I hand painted the legs white using leftover white paint from another painting project and moved over to the headboard to paint that, too. You can see where the screws went into the headboard trim to attach it to the board and batten. Because I wanted a more seamless look, I used wood filler – already white – to fill in the screw holes.
Before I actually filled in the holes, I had an “Oila” moment (more on that here), and I talked to Kevin. The conversation went like this:
Me: “Kevin, maybe I shouldn’t fill in the screw holes.”
Kev: “Why not?”
Me: “Well if I fill them in, then how are you going to be able to find them to remove them if we ever want to use the headboard again without the trim?”
Kev: “Catie, it’s not that I don’t have all the faith in the world in your wood-filling abilities, but I think I’ll still be able to find them.”
Me: “Oh. Okay.”
Turns out Kevin was wrong. You can’t even tell for one second where those screw holes were!
What’s that? You aren’t wearing your contacts and you can see them? Interesting. You might be right. Fine. Either way, it looked even better after I sanded down the wood filler to make it flush with the trim and better still after I painted the headboard – also by hand.
Kevin then attached the painted 1x8s to the sides and foot of the bed to cover the 2x4s of the frame.
The last piece to go on was the headboard. When Kevin put the headboard onto the frame, he aligned it so the trim would rest on the 1x8s. This was genius in that it creates a totally fluid look from the bedside to the headboard. (I know – that side of the headboard looks like it can use more paint. In my defense, it’s tucked up against the wall and never seen.)
So at the end of it all, I now have My Royal Highness, and it thrills me every time I sit on it. Or lie down in it. Or blog while sitting on it. Or lying on it. Or typing up a post while under the covers with my glasses on and teeth brushed to enable me to hit “publish”, take off my specs, hit the switch and go to sleep. That may or may not be a narrative of how the next 30 seconds will play out.