I’m not normally one for resolutions. I just don’t like setting myself up for failure. I go to the gym already, so there isn’t the whole “join a gym” option. I would be lying if I said I was going to give up candy. I do want to be better about being in touch with people, but I don’t want that to be only as of January 1st. I want it to be on the regular.
So after some thought, I’ve come up with a couple resolutions that will hopefully give me a swift kick in the buns but also not things that I can fail within the first 5 days of the year.
1) Watch less TV. Yes, I have my shows and I will most definitely still be indulging in them. But if I’m indulging in 5 TV shows already (thank God Mad Men is over), then I’m not going to sit in front of the TV and zone out when I could be doing something better with my time.
2. Read more. This one sort of goes hand in hand with Mr. T(V). I just started Atlas Shrugged and just finished Cutting for Stone (it was excellent – go get it). When my old roommates used to plop themselves in front of the tube for the night, I’d plop down on my bed with a good read. I need to do that more.
3. Spend less money. When I say spend less money I mean be smarter about what I’m spending my bucks on and be more realistic about what I can afford and when. I already started “cutting corners” by deciding that, even if I’m still working on steadying my hands to paint my own fingernails, I can definitely forgo a toe polish in lieu of my own paint. Especially in the wintertime. I’m also going to stop buying clothes I don’t need. And stop going into Banana Republic altogether (fine – not altogether but not to “browse” unnecessarily).
4. Reupholster the chair that I haven’t even shown you or told you about but that I have all the parts to and have stripped completely. Don’t even get me started.
5. Post pictures of the chair, so I actually get on it. Maybe tomorrow. And actually get on the refinishing of the chair I did show you and still haven’t finished.
6. Go to France. This one is a bit of a cheat, because it’s sort of already been decided. My friend (and fellow traveler) Maureen and I have decided that we deserve some cheese and wine and we’re aiming for May. Woo hoo!
7. Update my blog(ging). Not only do I want to update this site so it’s easier to navigate, but I also want to update what I’m writing to add more “Ruminations and Revelations” posts (really let you know what goes on my head) and lessen the “blog every single day” pressure that I decided to put on myself when I started. I know that this may come as a bummer to my loyal audience (Mom), and I know that blogging on the regular increases readership and sponsorship and advertisements and all of that other internet goodness, but blogging is just a hobby for me right now, and I need to make sure that I am sharing good things and fun things and that I am doing it because I want to and not because “I have to post something tomorrow.” (Trust me – this will benefit all of us.) Plus. I have to read more.
What made your resolution list? Anything that you’re dead set on doing? Or are you anti-resolutions? I clearly don’t know what I am, considering I started this post with “I’m against them” and then proceeded to list a bunch. Identity crisis. What’s up.
P.S. I was blowdrying my hair tonight and I swear it somehow smelled like Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. Sadly, it doesn’t anymore, but even though the scent is gone the craving remains.